Book Club shines in the spotlight

Zenia Khan and Aneri Upadhyay

Do you like reading new books? Are you a fan of literature? Do you like hanging out with your friends? Then the Book Club is the place for you! In this club, run by Ms. Smith, she engages young readers to get together and share their thoughts and opinions about books they have read. They discuss plots and endings and ask multiple questions that may have come up while reading. They also analyze and observe character traits and plot holes. They question what the author could have done better and even what they would have done, as an author.

But don’t worry, this isn’t another English class! Ms. Smith brings out the humor and fun in this club. She makes sure everyone has a good time and enjoy themselves. Everyone is engaged and adds their own opinions and suggestions. They choose books from a list and vote to see what book they will be focusing on next.

In their most recent meeting, the club focused on the first book read this year: Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley. They took a serious book and shed humor onto the way it was written. They criticized the author and his portrayal of the mental illness in the book. They shared what they liked and disliked, and everyone was allowed to voice their opinions if they wanted. 

Along with reading and discussing books, the club is also hosting a book drive. They will allow students in the high school to donate books that they may not use anymore so that they can be read by others. It will take place in December, so keep an eye out! Along with this, the book club hosts a contest during winter break. Participants can read as many books as they want in order to be entered in a raffle. The prize depends on what appeals to the students; last year it was a gift card to Barnes and Noble. This encourages students to read more and keep their brains turning despite not having school.

The book club, located in A202, is currently reading The Wrath & the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh and is expected to finish the book for their December meeting on the 20th, so go borrow a book, read something new, and come down for a discussion!