NHS induction celebrates student achievement

The new batch of students were inducted into the National Honor Society.

Kavita Parasuraman, Editor-in-Chief

It is that time of year again, where some of Sayreville’s honor societies prepare a ceremony for new inductees as a way to honor them and show appreciation for their hard work. This induction “season” started off with the National Honor Society induction, which took place on April 10 in the school’s auditorium.

The ceremony started at 7 pm, as students walked into the auditorium holding lighted candles and wearing a uniform-blue robe. When all of the students were seated, Dr. Labbe gave a speech to highlight the hard-work done by the inductees and to acknowledge them for coming this far.

The president of NHS, John Lewis, made his opening remarks and named all the honored guests, who were chosen by the members as a faculty member that had left a mark on their educational career.

Followed by this were the four speeches made by NHS board members about the attributes and qualities for NHS membership. Agata Srodon, vice-president, spoke about character; Elizabeth Dobrzynski, treasurer, spoke about service; Sarah Singh, recording secretary, spoke about scholarship; and Daniel Kuria, corresponding secretary, spoke about leadership. After each of them gave their speech, they lit a candle at the center table.

Then, Dr. Labbe, the interim principal, announced the names of all the students starting with the seniors inducted in their junior year, then the seniors inducted in their senior year, and finally juniors inducted in their junior year. Once all the students were on the risers with their lit candles, the NHS pledge was recited by all and in perfect harmony, and candles were blown out.

Now that the new members were inducted in, all the NHS members went to the cafeteria to meet and talk to their honored member. Refreshments were also served.

The whole evening was wonderfully organized  by NHS advisor Mrs. Victorero-Mongone, and it ran very smoothly.

There are more inductions coming this month, like the Spanish National Honor Society induction on May 3 and the Mu Alpha Theta (Math) induction ceremony on May 23.

As the year comes to and end, National Honor Society members will be tutoring in the Opportunity Room and are also holding a pancake breakfast on May 18th. The money raised at this event will be given to an organization or brain injured children. Tickets are on sale now, so find a NHS member and get a ticket to enjoy a nice breakfast at the school!