Everything You Should Know About Covid-19: The Second Wave

Alyssa Rask, Staff Writer

People across the globe have been battling this deadly pandemic for months. Businesses fear another lockdown that could shut them down for good; doctors fear the overwhelming amount of COVID-19 patients entering their Intensive Care Units—but the fight is not over: the second wave has just arrived. From the record-breaking cases since March to the multiple vaccines making their way to the public before 2021, here is everything you should know about the second wave of COVID-19.

On October 30, the United States reported 160,000 cases of COVID-19—the highest number of cases reported in a single day since March. “We’re running out of time and we’re running out of options,” said Governor J. B. Pritzker of Illinois, distressed about the report of 75,000 cases in just one week in his state. However, whilst Illinois cases and deaths are rapidly increasing, the state is disregarding restrictions on mask mandating.

As we have seen in March and April, medical professionals are becoming overwhelmed with the surging amounts of hospitalizations. As of November 17, nearly 80,000 people were admitted to hospitals across the United States due to COVID-19. Furthermore, the United States even reported 1,707 deaths in one day, which was the most deaths in a single day since May. One doctor firmly states: “This is not crying wolf. This is the worst rate of rising cases that we have seen in the pandemic in the United States. And, right now, there’s no sign of flattening.”

Pandemic fatigue and dwindling compassion are the main determinants as to why the United States coronavirus infections are increasing at such an alarming rate. Across the United States, many people are tired and exhausted of the fact that we let this pandemic get more severe. Nonetheless, many Americans continue to take no notice of the lethal disease that has caused 1.42 million deaths worldwide; in addition, the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation projects 170,000 more deaths will be added to the United States, which already has 328,000 fatalities. “My concerns for the next six to twelve weeks is that if we don’t do things right, America is going to see the darkest days in modern American medical history,” said Dr. Joesph Varon, as his hospital begins to reach its maximum capacity of patients.

A statement that is desperately preached by doctors, nurses, and hospital workers is “please stay home for us.” Despite this, people continuously ignore their precautions to stop the spread of COVID-19. Doctor Syra Madad, a senior director at New York Hospital, says people are also becoming tired of repetitive but horrific headlines that appear on major news outlets. An example includes: “250,000 Dead From Coronavirus and Rising Infection Rates Cause a Surge in Hospitalizations.” People feel numb to the horror that has been occurring across the world for nine months and starting to treat this new reality we face as they did before the pandemic: weekly family gatherings, attending parties with large numbers of people, and frequently traveling to bars and restaurants. “This really is an all-hands-on-deck situation,” said David Dowdy M.D., as he addressed questions on how we can put a stop to the spread of COVID-19, save lives, and protect ourselves from the deadly pandemic occurring world-wide.

A Rider University freshman, Christian Verlingo, feels that Americans need to stop dismissing the recommendations of medical professionals and begin taking the correct precautions in order to stop the spread of COVID-19. “I should be relishing the normal college experience: dorming, partying and walking to my 8 a.m. classes, but we are in a global pandemic, nothing is normal,” said Christian. Despite the lack of a true college experience, he still believes that the restrictions put in place by colleges across the country are necessary. In fact, he said: “Though I won’t get to experience a normal freshman year, I know that I am protecting others around me and putting public safety above my wants.” Although Rider University is offering dorming during the Fall Semester, uncertainty regarding the continued opening of New Jersey colleges is a question that remains among students and parents.

However, out of the dark and terrifying news of rising infection rates, we may have a vaccine for COVID-19 soon. Pfizer, a company whose vaccine had over a 95% effective rate, submitted their application to the Food and Drug Administration on November 20. Another drug-making company, Moderna, stated that they hope to submit their application in the upcoming weeks for their vaccine, which has shown to have a 94.5% effectiveness after numerous studies. Due to the highly-demanded vaccine and steadily increasing cases, Pfizer submitted their application as an emergency, which could mean that the public could start receiving the vaccine by late December or in the early days of 2021. Pfizer anticipates producing 1.8 billion doses of their vaccine during 2020 and 2021 while Moderna expects to produce 520 million doses through 2020 and 2021. However, both vaccines require two dosages that were received three to four weeks apart for the treatment to be effective.