Echo Lites

The Student News Site of Sayreville War Memorial High School

Echo Lites

Echo Lites

Polls

How will you celebrate Halloween this year?

• Watch Halloween/scary movies (45%, 9 Votes)
  • Eat a lot of candy (20%, 4 Votes)
  • Do nothing (20%, 4 Votes)
  • Go trick-or-treating (10%, 2 Votes)
  • Go to a costume party (5%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 13

Loading ... Loading ...

California residents battle growing 12,500 acre wildfire

A wildfire that began Saturday in San Joaquin County, California, has now caused a mass evacuation of residents, officials say.

The fire, which has now consumed over 12,500 acres of land, began in the city of Tracy. According to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, as of Sunday, only 15% of the fire has been contained.

The department recently suspended all residential outdoor burning of landscape due to the risk of fires caused by the dry conditions in the region.

“As the summer heat intensifies, CAL FIRE Santa Clara Unit’s commitment and unwavering efforts remain steadfast in safeguarding California’s communities from wildfires. By staying vigilant and following fire safety and prevention guidelines, we can work together to mitigate the risk and protect our communities,” Santa Clara Unit Chief Baraka Carter said.

As of now, officials report that two firefighters sustained minor injuries after responding to the fires. In addition, a section of I-580 is closed in both directions due to dangerous conditions.

Firefighters battling the fire expect it to spread farther overnight due to the winds. In addition, the National Weather Service in Sacramento predicts extreme heat in the upcoming week could multiply dangerous fire conditions.