Summer ’18 Playlist

Back to Article
Back to Article

Summer ’18 Playlist

Rose Tomaszewski, Staff Writer

With school coming to an end in less than a month, temperatures rising, pools opening, and spirits lightening, it is clear that summer is on its way. The next few months of warm breezes and eating ice cream at the beach with friends is a time in which some of every high school student’s favorite memories are made. These memories always somehow find a way to be soundtracked to our favorite songs at the times, bringing back waves of nostalgia during some of the later, colder months.

Here is a playlist of some of the top songs that are definitely the go-to for all summer occasions:

• “Paranoid” by Post Malone is the first track of his sophomore album and subtly sets the vibe for what would follow throughout the rest. Although it is not necessarily seen as his typical sound as it is slightly slower compared to his more upbeat and popular songs, it is definitely not one to overlook. This new take on his sound and genre is one anyone would be able to like.
  • Next, is “Lula on the Beach” by Seaway for anyone who is more interested in an alternative/ pop punk genre. This song is meant for blasting and yelling the words to along to with friends. Its upbeat sound and lyrics are all focused on the cathartic summer months and escaping the hallways and all-night study sessions for some time of simply relaxing and having fun.
  • What playlist isn’t complete without a typical 2000’s pop radio hit? For this required track, the chosen one is “Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry as it is one song that anybody and everybody knows all the words to. The lightheartedness of this song can make anyone smile and simply bring back good memories to the times when it was extremely popular.
  • In terms of more recent and upcoming music, Khalid, the twenty year old pop singer from El Paso, Texas, has recently dominated charts and social media. With already having multiple hits, he still has yet to hit his peak, and is only getting more popular. “8TEEN” may be the song that he gets to call the song of the summer, despite being released on his debut album last year. It is catchy and will easily get stuck in your head for days. If this song isn’t played on all radio stations by the end of the summer, it would be a big surprise.
  • “I Wanna Know” by NOTD featuring Bea Miller is another one of the few tracks that there are high hopes for being considered “song of the summer”. This contains everything that all hits have nowadays, including the catchy and upbeat chorus, beat drops that dip into EDM genres, and of course a leading vocalist who truly makes the song her own.

Although these are only a few suggestions for the upcoming summer, be sure to stay on the look-out for new releases by plenty of artists including 5 Seconds of Summer, Panic! at the Disco, Florence and the Machine, Nicki Minaj, Carrie Underwood, and many more!