School spirit soars during 2018 pep rally

Samantha Emolo and Erin Bartko

October 19th was full of blue, white, and gray. The stands of Sayreville War Memorial High School were flooded with school spirit. Hosted by Ryan Casano and Agata Srodon, the fall 2018 Pep Rally turned out to be a success. The Marching Band did a beautiful job kicking off pep rally with a rendition of the National Anthem with ROTC marching in the flags.

The epitome of Sayreville school pride is showcased through our sports. Leading the lineup was Tennis with their senior representatives: Samantha Gagnon, Katherine Sudol, Shrusti Sheth, and Alecia Richardson.

Next to step up was Girls Track and Field whose seniors included: London Martinez, Allison Prieto, Maria Santiago, Agata Srodon, Isabella Wekesa, Mona Yuan, Victoria Hermanowski, Veronica Barbosa, Adijah Simmon, and Adrianna Nestor.

Boys Track were quick to follow, their seniors being Kai Cox-Allison, Dylan Rodriquez, Alonso Molina, Joshua Nieratko, Zuriel Wright, and Ray Ajala.

Girls and Boys Soccer are announced next with their seniors: Lauren Attardi, Veronica Barbosa, Khadija Barrie, Stephanie DeOcampo, Megan Furbush, Ashley Herndon, Michelle Pena, Carly Thompson, Kristen Signorile, as well as Frankie Astarita, Jon Borges, Sebastian Cardoso, Karol Dopierala, Daniel Espejo, Michael Lubeski, Eric Sanchez, Anthony Ravelle, Roshan Sharma, and Alex Szpindor.

Unified Soccer was next on the field, showing off their participants for the third year running.

Field Hockey took over led by their seniors: Isabella Martinci, Jenna DeMild, Alexa Krosnoski, and Nicole Kokoszka.

The last to take the field was the football team with a current record of 5-0, and their seniors consisting of: Conner Anthony, Griffin Anthony, Jacari Carter, Alec Coelho, Christian Colon, Damani Coombs, Cameron Davis, Augustin DelValle, Sebastian Geraldo, Antwan Golson, Connor Holmes, Bryce Holon, Kyle Holon, Matt Iovino, Savon Kirksey, Jorge Leiva, Nick Milewski, Scott Mish, Nino Oneto, Gino Schiena, and Zuriel Wright. The football players went on the play a home game against Piscataway that night.

The Cheerleaders dazzled the student body with two amazing routines, broken up by the Marching Band and Color Guard’s performance of two songs from their original show Dante’s Journey Through the Afterlife.

Class competitions closely follow, starting with a three-legged race. The winners were from the sophomore class with the seniors following in a close second.

Next up was the pie eating contest, and the junior representative won with a face full of cream.

The most anticipated game, tug of war, fell short the first round when the freshman team was disqualified, giving sophomores the win. Though starting out close at the beginning, the seniors ended up beating the juniors in the second round. In the final round, the seniors bested the sophomores landing them the win for tug of war.

Last but certainly not least came the esteemed game of field goal kicking. The freshman started it out with a score of 6, the sophomores beat them by one point, and the juniors then dominated the previous contestants with a score of 12. With the seniors up, the suspense was high, as well as the crowd’s spirits. With time to spare, the seniors emerged superior with 14 points, thus, crowning them the ultimate champions of the fall 2018 pep rally games and concluding this year’s pep rally.