How To: De-Stress during College Application Season

From one burned-out college applicant to another. (Don’t stress, you’ve got this!)

Ashlee Bonsi, Staff Writer

We’ve approached the time of year where senior students lock themselves up in their rooms, either studying to achieve the last (and the best) of their standardized test scores or to fulfill the necessary requirements for the colleges of their choice.

They work themselves to the bone; each word they pen on their college essays and every minute they spend poring over the details of their academic history often leads them to question the limitations of their resolve and patience.

The fall semester (appropriately dubbed College Application Season) is characterized by such moments, and while they may seem extremely overwhelming, there are ways to cut off the stress!

Here is a list of things you can do to help alleviate the pressures of college application season!

• Taking deep breaths.
    • By lowering heart rate and regulating breathing, it may work to your advantage to take things slow and simply focus on your breathing.
  • Drinking a warm cup of tea/coffee/whatever suits your fancy.
  • SLEEP!
    • It’s easy to fall prone to an irregular sleeping schedule, but the right amount of sleep (as consistently as possible) can do wonders for your health and your disposition. Even if you were to drop everything and take a 20-minute power nap — it would help to calm you down immensely and recharge your energy.
  • Indulge in your personal hobbies.
    • By expressing yourself through creative (and relaxing) outlets, you can relieve pent-up stress and shake off your nerves.
  • Chocolate! (Specifically, dark!)
    • Chocolate has been proven to help reduce cortisol, the stress hormone, and improve other bodily functions!
  • Socialize and spend time with friends,
    • Stress is often paired with the tendency to isolate oneself — and while this may help to increase productivity, it only does so temporarily. When you surround yourself with friends and acquaintances who can not only reciprocate your energy, but recharge your energy, you’ll find yourself much more productive and willing to work than before.

The college season is almost guaranteed to bring a mounting pressure (increasing in intensity as more deadlines draw closer). However, keep these tips in mind as you embark on your application- and essay-riddled journey to future security and success, and you’ll find yourself fighting less and less with stress. I wish you all the best of luck!