Elizabeth Warren proposes student loan forgiveness

Ryan Real, Staff Writer

Senator Elizabeth Warren has recently announced that she is looking  to capture the Democratic nominee for the 2020 Presidential Election. Like many candidates, she has been pitching ideas to try to gain supporters when it comes to 2020. Her recent venture of proposing to relieve college debt has sent shock waves through the capital.

Her policy includes canceling $50,000 of student loan debt from those families that makes up to $100,000. She also proposed making public educational institutions free, which includes community colleges. This means that 75% of Americans who have student debt would have that debt completely eliminated and 95% would get rid of some of their debt. This would help the 45 million Americans who are suffering from their student loan debt.

However, this policy has stirred up controversy with a strong opposition from the other side. Some say that higher education is not a responsibility for the federal government and that it won’t help the exponentially growing tuition. Also, some argue that this perpetuates the notion of going to college is the only way to be successful in life. SInce many current high school students will be in an institution for higher learning and eligible to vote in the 2020 Presidential Election, this is something to consider while picking the nation’s next leader.