Echo Lites

The Student News Site of Sayreville War Memorial High School

Echo Lites

Echo Lites

Polls

How will you celebrate Halloween this year?

• Watch Halloween/scary movies (45%, 9 Votes)
  • Eat a lot of candy (20%, 4 Votes)
  • Do nothing (20%, 4 Votes)
  • Go trick-or-treating (10%, 2 Votes)
  • Go to a costume party (5%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 13

Loading ... Loading ...
Freshmen reflects on year at SWMHS
Mya Melara, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024
Club Spotlight: Sayreville TSA
Jasmine Kohli, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

Ukrainian Women Leaders Drive Peace Initiatives

The Independent Delegation of Ukrainian Women to the United Nations contributed to global peacemaking at the 68th session of the Commission on the Status of Women in New York. 

“Our delegation combines peacekeeping efforts with humanitarian aid to Ukrainian children who lost their parents during the ongoing war,” stated Svitlana Salamatova, the head of the independent delegation.

The delegation annually consists of up to 20 Ukrainian women-leaders from sectors of public management, business and civic society. For the first time in six years, the line-up also included the youngest delegates Nina Salamatova and Kateryna Polishchuk, who are 17 and 18 years old. 

The delegation was created in 2018 and since then has actively participated in annual sessions of the Commision on the Status of Women in the United Nations headquarters, addressing the urgent need for peace initiatives.

The annexation of Crimea, Donetsk and Luhansk regions by the Russian Federation in 2014, sparked a nationwide movement among Ukrainian women leaders to seek active roles in global peacemaking.

“We decided that we must be closer to where key decisions are made. Forming this delegation was our step to influence international policy directly,” Svitlana Salamatova explained regarding the motivation behind the creation of the project.

During CSW68 this March, the Independent Delegation of Ukrainian Women organized a parallel event dedicated to uniting women leaders from countries in armed conflicts. It was conducted with the usage of ToP facilitation methodology, which is a “collective of facilitation tools created as a result of the work of more than 1500 facilitators in 55 countries around the world,” explained the head of the delegation. 

“This year’s delegation has enabled subsequent delegations to change the traditional format of UN working sessions,” said Svitlana.

The active participation of the Ukrainian delegation culminated in the creation of a special resolution aimed at the creation of a special working group within the UN framework, consisting of women from countries experiencing armed conflicts. 

“This resolution embodies our dedication to transforming dialogue into specific peacemaking actions. It’s a testament to what we can achieve through unified efforts. It will also be sent to the UN Secretary-General,” highlighted Salamatova.

Expanding their influence beyond the UN, the delegation engaged in significant diplomatic meetings in Washington, D.C. aimed to strengthen international support for Ukraine and advocated for comprehensive strategies to address global conflicts.

With a focus on unity, action, and international cooperation, the independent delegation not only represented the Ukrainian civic society but also championed the cause of peace for all nations affected by conflicts.

“Above all, each of us must not rely on our own interests, just as countries must abandon national interests and give themselves the opportunity to serve each other in a collective effort to preserve the earth for future generations,” concluded Svitlana Salamatova.

View Comments (1)