Handling Stress and Prioritizing Mental Health

Rishi Shah, Staff Writer

Many of us as students feel crushed by the workloads of school, extracurricular activities, social life, and family responsibilities. This is exactly why it’s important to prioritize mental health and discover effective methods to handle stress, avoid burnout, and sustain your general well-being.

Some tips on managing stress / positive mental health:

1. Exercise: Exercise has been proven to boost your mood and ease your stress. This can even be just a quick walk around the block during a study break, which can help clear your mind and re-energize.
  2. Get Enough Sleep: Lack of sleep can contribute to increased stress levels and make it harder to focus during the day. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night to ensure you’re well-rested and ready to tackle the day.
  3. Practice Mindfulness: Mindfulness is the act of being present in the moment and can be a powerful tool for reducing stress and improving mental health. There are many apps and resources available to help you practice mindfulness, such as Headspace and Calm.

It’s fine to take a break and give your mental health priority. By taking care of yourself, you’ll be better equipped to manage the demanding academic workload and attain your objectives more successfully. Don’t be afraid to ask a responsible adult or mental health professional for assistance if you’re struggling or need more support.