Strumming Away at Acoustic Night

On October 11th, talented students got together and held a acoustic instrument show, playing and singing along to some of their favorite songs.

Tanmay Patel, Staff Writer

Sayreville has a remarkable amount of musical talent, whether it be through individual musicians or devout performers in the marching band. Throughout the year, students have a multitude of places to express their love for playing instruments and singing. One of these events is Acoustic Night, a theatrical show of guitar and piano performances.

This year’s lineup included many musicians and singers who have played several instruments and sung for many years. Christian Quilon, currently a sophomore and the President of the Class of 2020, played “Haven’t Met You Yet” by Michael Bublé on the piano. Another sophomore and a rising track star, Cesar Espejo, played “Hey There Delilah” by Plain White T’s on the guitar.

As well as entertaining spectators, performers enjoyed themselves thoroughly. “Acoustic night was really fun”, Nicole Laudati says, “I loved performing with and watching so many talented people.”

Acoustic night attendees were also greeted with a performance by Traffic on Washington, the student band of SWMHS. The band played “Photograph” by Ed Sheeran and “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons. The band’s members include Peter Lawrence, Jundy Lacuata (pictured), Mackenzie Smith, Alex Yu, Nicole Laudati, Michael Magielnicki, Ariana Solis, and Jessica Deluca as vocalists, and Michael Autunnale and Anthony Pesch as guitarists.

Jundy Lacuata believed the event, despite being very professional, was friendly to beginning artists. “I feel like Acoustic Night is a safe environment for new performers to shine on stage,” he says.  “The auditions are more laid back and virtually everyone who auditions gets in. The crowds are usually respectful and will cheer you on no matter how you are, especially if you are nervous and apologize for messing up.”

He also observed the kindness shown by fellow performers to one another. “Other students will shout out encouraging messages like ‘You got this!’ or ‘You’re doing great!’ and everyone will cheer for you. It’s also a fun time because you’re with people that are the same age performing on the same stage with similar acts. No matter what skill level, you will get applauded no matter what.”

This year’s Acoustic Night was very obviously a success, delighting the audience and spotlighting talented students as well.