Echo Lites

The Student News Site of Sayreville War Memorial High School

Echo Lites

Echo Lites

Polls

How will you celebrate Halloween this year?

• Watch Halloween/scary movies (45%, 9 Votes)
  • Eat a lot of candy (20%, 4 Votes)
  • Do nothing (20%, 4 Votes)
  • Go trick-or-treating (10%, 2 Votes)
  • Go to a costume party (5%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 13

Loading ... Loading ...

Ctrl: SZA’s revolutionary addition to the modern R&B scene

SZA’s Ctrl, initially released in 2017, is not just an album—it is a profound, introspective journey. From the moment you press play, it feels as though you’re delving into the depths of insecurity, heartbreak, and the complexities of adolescence. The album’s allure lies not only in its melodies,  but in its enticing storytelling, wrapped in a sound that seamlessly blends R&B, soul, and hints of alternative sounds.

The beauty of Ctrl lies in SZA’s fearless vulnerability. Her lyrics are a raw and unfiltered look into her world, embracing imperfections, doubts, and desires. Iconic tracks like “Supermodel” and “Drew Barrymore” cover the mere confusion and upset that comes with relationships and their emotional attachment to our self-worth. SZA is sure to provide variety, as the track “The Weekend” navigates the intricacies of love with candidness.

What sets Ctrl apart is its relatability. SZA effortlessly captures the essence of navigating young adulthood, making mistakes, and finding oneself. Through tracks like “Normal Girl” and “Garden (Say It Like Dat),” she creates a space where listeners can see reflections of their own experiences. Listeners are immersed in the familiar position of losing control, (no pun intended), of these important, intense aspects of themselves. 

Production-wise, Ctrl has proven to have contributed significantly to modern R&B’s evolution. SZA’s beats are both intricate and understated, allowing her vocals to take center stage while enhancing the emotional depth of each track. Collaborations with artists like Kendrick Lamar on “Doves in the Wind” add a thrilling undertone to an already multifaceted album.

Ultimately, Ctrl isn’t just a collection of songs— it’s a cohesive narrative. A masterpiece, it’s an exploration of identity, relationships, and the whirlwind of emotions that come with growing up. SZA’s ability to create music that feels intensely personal yet universally relatable is what makes this album an enduring gem in the landscape of contemporary R&B.