Welcome 2018!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Welcome 2018!

Ciara Weller, Staff Writer

Thousands of years ago anciencivilizations made promises to their gods at the start of every new year. The Babylonians were one of the first of such civilizations and celebrated on the first full moon after the spring equinox.

The idea of such promises has followed people for thousands of years, and are known today as the “dreaded resolutions” that are just so hard to keep. In fact, according to a study, 45%  of Americans make resolutions but 75% will fail within a week. So, why do Americans fail at keeping their resolutions? According to psychologists, failed resolutions can be the result of a pessimistic mindset, unrealistic thinking, and resolutions that were just too vague to actually follow through with.

When it comes to resolutions, it isn’t uncommon to have low expectations. With a pessimistic mindset, nothing will ever get done. If you tell yourself you won’t succeed, you’re only setting yourself up for failure. The parameters of your goal are hence narrowed and your original goal disappears.The motivation needed to succeed in fulfilling your goals is lost. If you assume that you just can’t do something, you lose motivation and set your expectations so low that your goals lose their significance. In order to reach goals, it’s critical that you be realistic.

If you’ve never been to the gym a day in your life and you suddenly decide you’re going to start going to the gym seven days a week, it’s just not going to happen. Start out small and gradually work into your goals. Lastly, when setting goals or making resolutions, it is important to be specific. If your resolutions are vague, you’ll never know how to complete them or if they’re even being completed the right way. Go into this New Year with a clear plan and an optimistic mindset – but don’t forget to be realistic.