2018 Standardized Testings

Kavita Parasuraman, Staff Writer

It is that time of the year again when the last day of school is nearing but students in the state have to take standardized testing. Standardized testing “season” starts off with PARCC which will last for about two weeks, which will then be followed by AP exams, and end with the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT). If a student misses a PARCC day or the NJBCT, there are make-up days and in this case, the student will be contacted. The following shows which subjects corresponds to what dates:

April 17 (Tuesday): Geometry/Algebra I (Students that do not take the exam will be in period 1 from 7:30 to 9:40; the day’s schedule is periods 4,5,6,7,3, and 8 — 40 minutes)

April 18 (Wednesday): Geometry/Algebra I (Students that do not take the exam will be in period 1 from 7:30 to 11:15; the day’s schedule is periods 4,5,6,7,3, and 8 — 25 minutes) 

April 19 (Thursday): Algebra II/ELA 9 (Students that do not take the exam will be in period 2 from 7:30 to 9:40; the day’s schedule is periods 4,5,6,7,3, and 8 — 40 minutes)

April 20 (Friday): Algebra II/ELA 9 (Students that do not take the exam will be in period 2 from 7:30 to 11:15; the day’s schedule is periods 4,5,6,7,3, and 8 — 25 minutes)

April 24 (Tuesday): ELA 10/11 (Students that do not take the exam will be in period 3 from 7:30 to 9:40; the day’s schedule is periods 4,5,6,7,1, and 2 — 40 minutes)

April 25 (Wednesday): ELA 10/11 (Students that do not take the exam will be in period 3 from 7:30 to 11:15; the day’s schedule is periods 4,5,6,7,2, and 8 — 25 minutes)

Room numbers will be posted in numerous locations around the school, so make sure to check what room you will be taking the PARCC in.

For the classes of 2019 and 2020, you must pass ELA 9, 10, or 11 and pass Algebra I, Algebra II, or Geometry. For the classes of 2021 and 2022, you must pass ELA 10 and Algebra I. This means you must score at least 750 points on each test. Also, it is important to remember that SWMHS has started looking at PARCC scores as a criteria for honors and AP classes.

AP exams start in the second week of May. If you are not taking an AP exam it will not affect the day’s schedule but it is important to be quiet in the hallways during passing periods so the ones that are taking the AP exams are not interrupted. The following are the dates for the AP exams taken at SWMHS:

Monday, May 7: Chemistry (8 a.m.) / Spanish Literature and Culture (12 p.m.)

Tuesday, May 8: Spanish Language and Culture (8 a.m.) / Art History (12 p.m.) and Physics 1 (12 p.m.)

Wednesday, May 9: English Literature and Composition (8 a.m.) / Physics 2 (12 p.m.)

Thursday, May 10: United States Government and Politics (8 a.m.) / Environmental Science (12 p.m.)

Friday, May 11: United States History (8 a.m.) 

Monday, May 14: Biology (8 a.m.) 

Tuesday, May 15: Calculus AB and Calculus BC (8 a.m.)

Wednesday, May 16: English Language and Composition (8 a.m.) / Macroeconomics (12 p.m.)

Thursday, May 17: Statistics (12 p.m.)

Friday, May 18: Microeconomics (8 a.m.)

You must take an AP exam if you are enrolled in the class. AP exams are score out of 5 points, and by getting a 4 or 5 on the exam many colleges give credits.

The last standardized testing which is the NJBCT takes place on May 31st and June 1st. It is like the NJASK which is out of 300 ( >200 is passing and >250 is advanced proficiency).

Make sure the night before these exams you get enough sleep and that you eat breakfast on the day of the exam.  If you prepare well for the exams then you will be more successful. Good luck!