Spanish Honors Society Induction 2018

Kavita Parasuraman, Staff Writer

On Monday night, the students of Spanish III and IV classes were inducted into the prestigious Spanish Honors Society. The ceremony started around 7 pm in the school auditorium. Parents were ready with their cameras as the students walked in their uniformed lines, wearing professional attire, and took their seats on the stage.

The formal ceremony started when Diana Rodriguez, the president of the Spanish Honors Society, made an introduction to the other board members which were: Kathleen Beben, vice president; Robert Adams, secretary; and Khola Aziz, treasurer. The students were then asked to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in English and Spanish and a poem titled “Las Esperanazas” which translates to hope and expectations.

With this, the important part of the ceremony began, in which every student’s name was called and each had to light their candle. During this lighting part, the main candle went off at some points which was laughed off by everyone and some people were not able to light their candle. Still, it was a memorable part of the ceremony. After all the students got the opportunity to light their candles, they recited their pledge of loyalty to the club and completed the tradition by blowing out the candles.

With the end of the ceremony, the group of 2018 entered the Spanish Honors Society. When they thought that it was time to walk off the stage, a Mariachi band came in and pleasantly surprised the students and parents. The rest of the ceremony consisted of students dancing to the music and they even formed a conga line, which went around the auditorium. It was definitely a fun event to be part of.

They concluded the night by inviting the new members and their families to the lunchroom where a large array of sweets were displayed. There was cake, brownies, doughnuts, and other mouth-watering sweets. The members were able to celebrate their entrance to the Spanish Honors Society by enjoying the food with their families and even received certificates and badges. Overall, the ceremony was a success and a night that will be remembered by all. Congratulations to everyone that was inducted on Monday!