New Laws for New Jersey

Rushil Garre, Staff Writer

A new year has arrived and with it, a number of new laws for our state. All of these laws have been signed by Governor Phil Murphy over the past year and a majority of them are effective as of January 1, 2023. Here are a few of them that may affect the students and staff at our high school:

1. Teens can now work longer hours. Youths who are 16 and 17 years old can now work up to 50 hours per week during the summer. Previously, teens of this age group could only work a maximum of 40 hours each week.
  2. Large venues are required to have active shooter plans in case of an emergency. These include houses of worship (such as churches, temples, and synagogues), sports stadiums, and movie theaters.
  3. Your auto insurance rates may increase. The minimum amount of liability insurance has gone up in the new year. According to officials, individuals who are affected by this law will have to pay approximately $125 more per year for insurance.
  4. Voter privacy has now improved. It is now compulsory for polling stations in New Jersey to have privacy sleeves for the printed ballot. This prevents people nearby – including poll workers – from seeing who you voted for while you slide your ballot into the scanner. This law also allows registered voters to update their name and address online.