SWMHS Presents: Shrek the Musical

Rehat Singh, Editor-in-Chief

The upcoming musical, Shrek, has been highly anticipated by both students and staff. As many such productions go at the school, many of the cast members all have high expectations for the new musical. With more than 55 cast members and an almost entirely new staff, it’s made clear that this production will be one for the books.

After sitting down to interview many of these cast members, many of the members all have a very positive outlook on the outcome of the production.

“The environment is very positive and encouraging,” says Lindsay Ploskanka (grade 11), who is cast as Humpty Dumpty. “It’s a very laid back atmosphere and we’re all big on helping each other out. Because our choreographer has changed, it’s taking some time to get used to the new schedule. For example, now we’re learning the music first and then the choreography.”

Ayanna Richardson (grade 11), part of the Ensemble and Angry Mob throughout the scenes, also mentioned that the schedule took some getting used to. “Because Dr. P has left, our new director is Mr. Craft. He makes a schedule, so we’re able to get everything done. Ms. Modero is our new choreographer, and the best part is that she comes on Saturdays, something that never really happened before.”

When asked about any conflicts with schedules and other cast members, Ayanna giggles and says, “It’s only been a week, but we’ll see how it goes. But the new staff is great and even though some of the scheduling is different, they’re working really hard.”

Despite staying after school nearly every single day and giving up Saturdays, all of the cast members are gleaming with positivity, especially Mackenzie Smith (grade 10), who looks at the cast members as “family”.  Playing three parts – Duloc Greeter, a dancer, and Mama Bear – Mackenzie describes it as a show everyone can have fun with. “Mr. Craft is our new director and we also have a new choreographer. Because of this, it doesn’t really feel that much like last year because now, we have more freedom.”

Nathalia Ramos (grade 12), playing Peter Pan, also had a lot to say about the new changes made this year. “Even though there’s no more Dr. P, Mr. Craft is taking a different approach, and he’s always trying to improve and make things better. At first, I was a little skeptical and nervous, but I’m also really excited because there’s a ton of dance numbers.”

It came as quite a surprise that so many members of the theatre society took Dr. Piccurio’s leave so well, considering the fact that he was one of the most beloved of the staff members.

One of the most positive members, Jundy Lacuata (grade 11) who will be playing Pied Piper, was especially happy about the changes. “It’s very different and we have a new dance choreographer. The way Mr. Craft is doing it is very different than Dr. P, in the sense that I feel like Craft is allowing us to do whatever it is we need to do to truly become the character.” He enthusiastically remarked, “I feel like it’s going be a great show, and it’s going to be even more exciting because there are a lot more cast members.”

When asked whether he was nervous about how the production would turn out, Jundy proudly boasted, “Not really, but that’s only because I’ve performed in many other performances as well. So far there aren’t really any problems and practices are running pretty smoothly. Plus, because we’re learning all the music first it’s a weight off our shoulders.”

It’s made clear that not only are the theatre kids deeply passionate about their craft, but they’re also an extremely positive and forward thinking bunch, despite working with an entirely different staff. Make sure to check out Shrek: The Musical in support of the SWMHS Theatre Society!

Check out the cast listings below!!