Movie Review of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Kavita Parasuraman, Staff Writer

Just a mere 22 years and 5 days later,  the sequel for Jumanji was released for the public to see, and I must say that I am very impressed.

But before we dive into the review, let’s provide a moment of silence to credit Robin Williams who did an excellent job of bringing his character to life in the original Jumanji. With his and many of the other cast members excellent acting skills as well as the top-notch editing, Jumanji is an unforgettable classic for all age groups.

Here is a quick recap of what Jumanji was about: a boy finds a board-game called “Jumanji” and decides to play it with his friend which results in catastrophe. The boy disappears and his friend is scarred. Fast-forward a couple years later, and two kids find “Jumanji” again and the catastrophic occurrences begin to occur once again.

Such occurrences have to do with the jungle-like environment that is released everytime the board-game is played. They then find the boy that went missing years ago (due to the effects of the game), who is now grown up. The four have to finish the game in order for everything to go back to normal.

When Jumanji was released it made a total of $262.2 million dollars worldwide. Such numbers proved the mass success that was claimed by the film. But the ratings showed another story: not everyone was impressed, due to the movie receiving a 39/100 by Metacritic and a 5.6/10 by Rotten Tomatoes.

Now 22 years later, we have been given a sequel which is much more relatable for our generation. Instead of a board-game, the world of Jumanji all takes place inside a video-game which is found by four high-school students. Just like the original Jumanji, in this sequel there was a boy years before that gets “sucked” into the game. The group of five, who are all initially very different, learn to work together and overcome their differences to survive such a barbaric game. In this new adaptation, there are quite a few renowned names which include: Dwayne Johnson, Karen Gillan, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, Nick Jonas, and Madison Iseman. Not only is this movie filled with action but it is also very comedic, to the point where you cannot stop laughing! As of January 7th, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle has taken in $519.4 million worldwide. So far, ratings are definitely higher from its older counterpart.

My one tip for anyone that is planning to watch the newer Jumangi is: if you love comedy with action, this is the movie for you. The plot is very similar to the original, and if you enjoyed that movie you are bound to find your match with the newer Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. Not only was this movie exquisitely detailed, but it was all the more eye-catching as well! This newer film is one to remember.